Script for Curvature Calculation

6634.11 In reply to 6634.10 
Hello Brian,

I'm happy to hear that the script is interesting for you and that you think it is worth, to invest your time to improve it:-)
About the factories You are completly right. May I have a look in your actual code to understand what you are doing now?
The problem with square and n-gons may caused by the straight lines. Straight lines leads to colinear sampling points. That leads to two problems. the bisection planes between them are parallel. The intersection line is a tangent to our known universe;-) The second problem is that the normal vector (Hesse Normal Form) will be created by the cross product from these colinear (parallel) vectors. The result is a Null-Vector (magnitude and all components are Zero). That leads to a singulary matrix. I tried to catch that in the script with:
if(DetA!=0)
{
sp.x=DetX/DetA;
sp.y=DetY/DetA;
sp.z=DetZ/DetA;
} else {
sp.x=p1.x;
sp.y=p1.y;
sp.z=p1.z;
}
return sp;

The problem is, that I tried to return a wrong centerpoint as a workaround for straight line sections in the curve. (Something shoud be returned:-()
Later the length for the curvature vector will be calculated. Normally the vector to the Radius is diffrent from zero. Because I return p1, in that situation it is zero - an so it's magnitude, and what have I done - shit:
var d_vec=moi.vectorMath.createPoint(ptx[n+1].x-cp.x,ptx[n+1].y-cp.y,ptx[n+1].z-cp.z);
var magn=magnitude(d_vec);
var sf=scalefactor*1000.0;
var sd_vec=moi.vectorMath.createPoint((d_vec.x*sf/(magn*magn)),(d_vec.y*sf/(magn*magn)),(d_vec.z*sf/(magn*magn)));

d_vec is zero -> magn is zero -> and then I made a divide by zero op - maybe that kills your script! But sometimes it works, I can't retrace the problem - maybe caused by floating point precision(Attachment). A quick and dirty workaround would be to add a small value to sp before returning. Better catch the divide by zero or catch the whole calculation of collinar points - I don't know which way is the best. (For a better understanding the expression (magn*magn): the first scales the vector to a normalized one (lenght 1) - the second magn scales it to the curvature.)

Would you post your file with the killer square? Then I can make some experiments at the weekend:-)

I hope my speculations are right!???

Kind regards
Karsten
Image Attachments:
Size: 158.2 KB, Downloaded: 124 times, Dimensions: 1366x768px