Learning the basics.

6617.45 In reply to 6617.44 
Hi David,

> I created my curves and try to use a blend between two curve but doesn't work.

It's difficult for me to give you any suggestions on why it didn't work without any more information - ideally if you could post the 3DM model file with the curves you were trying to blend that would then let me see what you were running into.

Curve blend works by creating a new curve in between the ends of 2 existing curves, note that you have to use it on an open curve if you try to do it between 2 closed curves then it's normal that it would not work because a closed curve does not have an open end on it.

> I built the shape with a loft using the curves below and then use fillet, the fillet doesn't work.
> It goes over the top curve and make an awkward shape.

It's a little difficult to say without seeing the actual geometry, but I think that's due to trying to fillet both the upper and lower edge at the same time in a situation where they are coming to a sharp angle to one another.

When you try to fillet 2 edges that come together at a sharp corner area, it's a lot more difficult situation than if they were to touch smoothly, basically the fillet surfaces do not natually align with one another and they will be of different widths where they run into each other. For this particular case where you've got a short of sharply meeting scalloped type shape you would probably be better off filleting the rectangle curves before doing the loft.

Or maybe for your case here it would be better to work on the top piece only by itself first and then work on the bottom part after the top is done.

> I created the surface using network and sweep but I have the issue circled in red in
> the shape, it is not smooth, the surface has some visible stepping.

There were some bugs in v2 that could cause stuff like that as a side effect, there were various improvements and bug fixes to Network in v3 that may have solved this case. Hard for me to say without being able to work with the model file itself though.

- Michael