problems converting to dxf or dwg

6598.6 In reply to 6598.1 
Hi Gunther, it sounds like you've got things working ok now, but just in case:

> I need to have some files cut by laser in metal. They require dxf or dwg files.
>
> I tried converting my .3dm files to dxf but the curves don't come out right.
>

Some programs only accept certain types of curves in DXF format, like for example maybe they don't read in full NURBS curves and can only handle some more simple kinds of things... When you export out from MoI to DXF format there is an option for "Write curves as: " which can be any of:

Write curves as "Splines"
Write curves as "Cubic splines"
Write curves as "Polylines".

If the default "Splines" method does not work for your recieving application you might try one of the other settings for this particular option.

> After searching the forum, I came across the 3DMCurves2dxf convertor but after downloading
> it and clicking on it my mac says :You can’t open the application “3dmCurves2DXF.exe” because
> Microsoft Windows applications are not supported on OS X.

That converter was made for older versions of MoI before MoI had any built in DXF export, it does not really serve any purpose any more with the current v3 beta that has built in DXF export now.

Since exporting to DXF by way of illustrator did work, probably Illustrator wrote out polylines to the DXF file, if you set the option from MoI to write curves as Polylines that should generate the same kind of DXF file directly out from MoI.

- Michael