Moi 3d as Architectural tool

6543.6 In reply to 6543.5 
Hi Soalheiro,

> Let me try to explain this to you: other softwares have "materials" and "layers".

Well, not quite exactly - in Rhino for example layers themselves have a render material assigned to it and by default it's that layer's own material that is used when rendering. So by default that works the same as MoI's styles where the materials are defined by layer assignment.

The difference is that in Rhino there is also an additional switch that you can set on individual objects to say whether the object has materials assigned by layer (the default which then operates the same as MoI), or by a separate setting. But this kind of per-object override makes for a fairly complex system, and it's easy for it to lead to confusion in various ways, like for example if you receive a Rhino file from someone that has all the materials defined using that override so each object's material is separately assigned from the layer, then when you edit the layer's own material it has absolutely no visible effect on things and that can be quite confusing if you were not very closely involved with the development of the file yourself.

In MoI I've been hoping so far to avoid those kinds of potentially confusing situations by keeping things simple and not having a sort of parallel material system to the layer system with individual override settings also thrown in as well.

Maybe in the future I will revisit that and see about adding in per-object overrides but I'm pretty sure that it would be better to work on some other organization mechanisms like hierarchical groups first to see if those used in parallel with styles will provide the kind of additional organization tools that you would need rather than some kind of parallel layers/materials/individual object override type system.

- Michael