Point select mode, merge surfaces, re-parametrize

6415.2 In reply to 6415.1 
Hi Anto, I'm glad that you're having fun with MoI!

> 1: any chance to have "component mode" in MOI, similar to DCC apps. Mode which
> allows manipulation of points and nothing else.

Right now control point modification of surfaces is just not a big focus area for MoI - I sort of assume that if you need to be doing that kind of work you'd be doing it in a polygon modeling program rather than in MoI. The focus in MoI is much more on things like booleans and a workflow using 2D curves, not so much on 3D surface control point sculpting, although in the future I would like to add some more stuff to that area as well. But just in general NURBS surfaces are not really that great for high detailed control point editing type of a modeling strategy because you can't add a single point anywhere you want, a NURBS surface is always made up of a regular row and column grid.

> 2: merge surfaces: any way to do that in MOI. I mean, just simple point-to-point merge
> ( not some complex re-sampling mechanism) let's say if I want to merge the mirrored copy
> of object - even on price of changing the shape in merging area.

You can use Edit > Join to glue 2 surfaces together at a common edge but the result there will be a set of 2 faces that have a joined edge between them, not a single surface. A surface merge function is also something that I want to add in the future, but again it's part of a surface control point editing workflow which has just not been a focus area yet.

> 3: re-parametrize surface or curve: any way for this MOI. Here I'm considering the method
> in Softimage or Maya, where, "uniform re parametrization" acts similar to morphing of
> uniformly distributed grid, with same UV point count, to another, curved surface.

I think you mean a "rebuild" command that samples points on an existing surface and constructs a new one through those sampled points? There is a rebuild command but it currently only works for curves, not for surfaces:
http://moi3d.com/2.0/docs/moi_command_reference10.htm#rebuild

Once again, that's part of a surface control point editing workflow and that's just not really the main construction method that MoI is primarily targeted at right now.

The strong areas of NURBS modeling are more in making large portions of your model from 2D curves, using some from construction and some for cutting operations. Control point tweaking is just not as productive with NURBS surfaces as it is for sub-d modeling so I haven't really focused much attention on that area since it's just not the strong area of NURBS and there are already so many sub-d modeling programs out there which are focused on that type of method.

> And.... finally, is there any :) construction operator in this software, which does not
> perform all that rebuilding, re-sampling, whatever.. under the hood. It takes me a
> good time to get familiar with these behaviors.

Sorry I don't understand this question. There are various construction methods like sweep, extrude, revolve, loft, etc... which are able to build surfaces from curves... And also boolean operations which can also cut solids by curves as well. It's more intended that you would use this curve-driven method for constructing things in MoI and not so much a surface point editing sculpting-like technique like you're trying to use right now.

- Michael