Is 'instancing' going to be part of the V3 development plan

Hi Michael,

I've been continuing to test MoI over the last few days and have found that a large number scenes/models we work with cause a problem because of the limitations of 32bit memory allocation. To put things into perspective, I work at IDEO and a large part of what we do could best be described as design/architectural visualisation. A pipeline we are exploring is to use FormZ for modelling (we keep everything parametric although not necessarily all Nurbs based); exporting the resulting models as IGES or SAT for import to MoI/Rhino for mesh conversion to OBJ. The OBJ models are then taken to either Max or C4D for texturing, staging & rendering (via V-Ray). It sounds complicated but it enables us to use each tool to their strengths and when it works as it should it saves us a huge amount of modelling time. Doing architectural stuff through a pure nurbs or polygonal workflow is far too inflexible hence our use of FormZ (but FormZ's tessellation engine is horrendous hence our need for MoI/Rhino for conversion). We obviously see MoI as far more than a meshing engine but it performs the task very well.

The problem we're having in our tests with MoL (I can't send specific models due to client NDA's and such like) is that we're encountering what appear to be out of memory glitches that should easily be resolved by some form of instancing/components system. I've read in various places here on the forum that it's on the development roadmap but there's no indication as to whether it's a V3 or V4 thing.

Are you able to give any indication as to when 'instancing' is likely to be implemented? The team at the studio have fallen in love with the MoI user experience but we're worried it may not yet be capable of the sorts of task we'd ideally like use it for.

Cheers,

jm