The joy of construction lines (and a few other thoughts on my first week with Moi)

6333.5 In reply to 6333.4 
Hi Jonathan,

> At the moment there appears to be a lot of fragmentation of available resources for
> customisation of the MoI user experience & toolset.

Yup, this is because streamlining the process of customization has not been a high priority for MoI yet. Customization just in general is something that I consider to be in the specialized "power user" type area of usage and not really part of the core basic functionality.

The main resources though are previous messages here on the forum and also Petr's page which you've already found.

I have to admit, I sometimes wonder about the wisdom of having the various kinds of customization and scripting available in MoI at all.. It can be somewhat discouraging for me to help people do individual types of customization but then end up with criticism about it not being all documented and categorized or whatnot at the same time as well...

At any rate, I do definitely want to improve the customization experience in the future, there are just other more basic and more widely applicable things that still need attention as a higher priority.

> A prime example from my own usage patterns this week is that I was looking for a way
> to have the object snaps permanently open (as I like to change these on the fly as I work)
> and it took a number of searches on the forum for me to find the script/html file I was looking
> for. I would consider this feature to be core to MoI and not a 'power user' feature and the sort
> of thing that should be easily accessible.

It's a kind of odd example - MoI is really designed so that it works well to just leave all object snap types left on all the time. Things that caused problems in Rhino like with how Center object activates all the time are set up differently in MoI.

It's intended that other than for some specialized purpose you should just leave all object snap types enabled all the time and only turn on or off object snapping as a whole (by clicking on the bottom toolbar button for it) if they are getting in your way for a particular situation.

That's how I use it, and from what I can tell from the overall low amount of discussion about this particular thing I'm pretty certain that the vast majority of users do that as well...

I guess maybe it's possible in your case that you feel you need to have this particular UI set up because you do need it in Rhino? But you need it in Rhino because of how some of Rhino's object snaps work where some of them kind of hog attention and so can't be just left on all the time.... The same issue has been designed out of MoI's snaps specifically so you don't need to constantly enable/disable individual snap types in MoI.

- Michael