MoI and high resolution screens?

6308.5 In reply to 6308.1 
Hi Glyn,

> I would prefer to actually display and use the full resolution and increase the scaling for the menus,
> but I gather some software programs don't currently work well with such high resolution scaling and
> produce tiny, barely readable menus and other problems.

Yeah unfortunately that's very common behavior that many programs aren't able to scale their UI up to make it big enough on such a high density display.

Like others mentioned above though, MoI itself has been specifically designed to handle this type of thing well. So MoI's UI won't be a problem but it's certainly possible that you will run into tiny UI problems with a lot of other applications. Windows has some stuff built into it to forcibly scale non-high-DPI aware programs up but it kind of results in a blurry look so it's hard to say for sure whether it would be workable or not.

In MoI if the initial default isn't large enough for you just go under Options > General > UI size as shown above and bump it up until it feels comfortable.

> Also how demanding a program is MoI to run at high resolution? I'm considering getting a Fujistsu
> U904 laptop but even if I go for the highest CPU, RAM and SSD options you can have with it I have
> very little idea if that will be enough to design large complex models at 3200 x 1800 with just an
> integrated Intel HD Graphics 4400 or not. Would MoI run ok on something like this?

Hmmm.... Well, it's a bit hard to say for sure. For a long time the Intel integrated graphics were very underpowered compared to ATI or nVidia cards. But over the past 4 or 5 years or so they've made a lot of progress every year and the current generation is not anywhere near as far behind as they used to be.

But such a high resolution will stress the fill rate and memory bandwidth aspects of the display pipeline...

I'd say that if it can handle the regular desktop display of just moving windows around and playing videos and stuff like that, that it should be ok for MoI too I'd think.

Maybe look for some reviews that say whether it has a sluggish feel for regular desktop display tasks or not.

- Michael