MOI future development

6304.15 In reply to 6304.13 
Hi Metin,

> after I've given myself some more trial time to get accustomed to the NURBS approach to modeling, as
> it's quite a transition for a hardcore poly subdivision modeler like me, who's used to total control over
> every element.

Yeah the overall strategy for NURBS modeling is very different from poly modeling. One of the biggest things with NURBS modeling is that you want a lot of the 3D edge curves in your model to be produced as a result of booleans rather than by individually positioning things in 3D directly like you do with sub-d modeling.

Basically you want to be doing most of your work with 2D curves, some 2D curves being used to generate stuff and some being used to cut things.

Once you get used to it though, you can form mechanical models with this method very quickly. That's what can make MoI a nice companion modeler for a sub-d artist when you're working on non-organic shapes.

I know it can be frustrating to learn a different workflow. But really it's the different workflow that makes MoI especially useful, because it means it has a different set of strengths and weaknesses compared to sub-d modeling. If it just worked the same as sub-d modeling then there wouldn't as much of a unique value in using it.

Also check out here for some links to discussions and general tips for people who are coming from a sub-d / poly modeling background:
http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=4865.2

- Michael