V3 beta Nov-19-2013 available now

6297.67 In reply to 6297.64 
Hi Martin,

> When I draw a line I sometimes need to go back and edit its length. Having just tried this, it always
> (at the moment) seems to resize from the line's mid point, although I'm almost certain that in the
> past lines have also (it seems like randomly) resized from one end or the other.

As far as I can remember, it's always had the current behavior of sizing from the midpoint.

> Now it's not a big issue as I just drag the newly corrected line back to the right start point, but
> I wondered if there is already a way built in to MoI that allows lines to be resized from their ends
> rather than their mid point?

Well there is the Transform > Scale command, that lets you pick the scale origin to whichever specific point you want.

> If not, I'd like to suggest that clicking on a corner grip of a selected line would indicate the
> position that remains fixed when it is resized. In fact, might that also be useful when resizing
> any object via the Edit size window?

Hmmmm, it's an interesting idea but I'm somewhat hesitant to do it because there would be a few quirks with it, one is that on an angled line, there are 2 grips that are on the line's endpoints and 2 grips that are totally off the line's endpoints. It would be kind of weird if one of those other 2 grips ended up as the scale origin.

Currently when you click on the corner grip, the system does not remember which particular grip you clicked on, it switches a grip scaling mode back and forth. The scaling is only tied to a particular corner when you actually use one of the grips.

I don't think there is quite a strong enough direct relationship between the grip editing part to the line length editing part to try and make them interdependent like you're asking about...

Maybe another possibility would be for it to look at where you clicked on the line to select it, and anchor the scaling at the closest point to that mouse, choosing between the ends and the midpoint.... ?

- Michael