Local Coordinates ?

6273.23 In reply to 6273.20 
Hi Kevin,

> I just tried it out and it seems to scale the whole object up and down in size rather than
> in one direction only (along the normal) like SCALE 1D.

Yup, that's correct - sorry it wasn't clear to me that you were wanting to do a one directional scale, I was thinking you were talking about a uniform scale which does work with the edit frame in that kind of arrangement (viewing straight down on planar objects).

I wonder if I should do something special for planar objects being viewed along their length like that, like always align the edit frame with the object... I worry a bit though about the kinds of edits that would then be actually disabled like mirroring or flattening things to the world axis directions. Maybe I could do something like use right-click on an frame handle to switch bounding box modes from world to object relative.

> Hopefully this example explains it better ?

Yeah I already understand the kinds of situations where it would be useful - I was just showing that in the example that you showed you can actually use the existing edit frame to scale those kinds of planar sections as long as you're talking about a uniform scale.

And again just to be clear for others reading this, it is already possible to scale a non-axis-aligned box the way you want there, you can use the Transform > Scale > Scale1D tool to do that, that allows you to specifically pick the direction of the scaling so you just snap the direction line onto the edges of the box and you'll be able to do that kind of one directional box stretch.

- Michael