Getting all points of a curve using a script

6257.7 In reply to 6257.6 
Hi Martin, you should probably be able to find some CAM program that would take in curves and generate toolpath data like you're looking for... Maybe someone with CAM experience will be able to point you towards an already existing solution for this.

> I thought REBUILD generates new points on a freeform curve or arc but now I see that it only generates more control points.

Rebuild generates points on the curve, and then creates a new curve that interpolates those points. It's basically like doing Curve > Freeform > "Through points" and drawing a new curve with the points to interpolate snapped onto the existing curve.

But yes it does generate a smooth curve as the result and not a polyline curve as the result like I think you're looking for?

> The points on the right are not control points but "real" points drawn by hand using the multi line tool. Is this possible?

If you want to generate a bunch of equally spaced points along a curve, you can get that by drawing in one point object at the start of the curve and then using Transform > Array > Curve to replicate that point along the curve.

There is an older and different version of Rebuild that is made with a script that internally uses this array point technique to generate the points, and it may have an option to generate a polyline for the points, check that out here:
http://kyticka.webzdarma.cz/3d/moi/#ReconstructCurve

- Michael