Windows 8 RT

6234.2 In reply to 6234.1 
Hi Gav,

> Is there a remote possibility of seeing an App(ARM) version of MoI for the
> Surface RT tablets and the like?

Sorry, it's just not possible to happen in the foreseeable future.

There are numerous blocking issues. Microsoft does not enable 3rd party "desktop" style apps on Win RT, the only 3rd party apps that can run on it are in the new style "Metro" environment.

That would be a tremendous amount of recoding and porting work to move MoI over into Metro, and I'm not even sure if it's possible since from what I have seen so far the whole environment seems to be suited only for kind of lightweight games and fairly basic apps. One big issue is that there's a time limit of 5 seconds that Metro apps have to save data when the system tells them to enter a suspended state, and if they take longer than 5 seconds to save their data the system just terminates them. This is potentially very problematic in an app that may be dealing with a heavy amount of data.

Trying to produce a WinRT version would probably be a multi-year effort, possibly doomed to failure at the end of the work because of those platform limitations. So it's not really an area that I'm planning on focusing on anytime soon.

- Michael