Channel Band Tutorial

623.23 In reply to 623.12 
>
This definitely makes sense, but since there is a pretty good workaround of just making solids as cutters, ......................
,solids modelers often times the extrude tool is used for this type of cut, where the extrude can be used to add or remove material from an existing solid instead of creating a brand new object.... I'm not sure which one is best for this option, boolean difference or extrude. Maybe both should have it?

Hi Michael,

I don't really think it's a priority either, I was just curious about it..Rhino4 has some hole cutters now, but usually for cutting azures (the fancy jewelry term for holes) ;), I'd want to create an angled seat for the stone and perhaps, taper the cutter as it extends through the piece, so I'd make a cutter with a revolve, most of the time.

>guess there can actually be a problem with this in a tutorial because some things like construction lines are so easy to create that they kind of appear somewhat magically in the middle of the tutorial without someone really knowing how they got there.

That's partially due to my sloppy video editing with Wink. I've been trying to trim down the size of the videos by taking out unnecessary frames, but sometimes I select too many at once, and delete them before I remember to save the original file of the video. It happened a few times in my last video, so a few key frames got chopped out. I'm going to try screen captures which are user-activated with a keyboard shortcut rather than automatic keyboard or cursor activated captures. Wink puts in the animated cursor movement between frames, anyway, so it looks the same as an unedited video capture. The funny thing is it takes about as long to create the tutorial in MoI as the time that it takes to watch it, but it takes a whole lot longer to edit these things....:-) So I could just add the text and then post the long versions of them, dividing them up into 5MB segments for easier downloading.

Jesse