Cannot export to .step file

6204.8 In reply to 6204.1 
Hi Jay, are you using the current Aug-1 v3 beta, or an earlier version?

I just tested using the Aug-1 v3 beta on the Mac version and I seemed to be able to make a STEP file just by loading your object and doing a "Save As".

But I see that the object has a self-intersection in it - there was a bug in the STEP/IGES/SAT import/export library where on some occasions if it saw an inconsistent trim boundary it would trigger an error in the export and the entire export would be aborted. That particular problem has been fixed in the most current v3 beta and instead in that case you should end up with surfaces exported instead of a joined object.

So if you're using an older version, try updating to the latest v3 beta from here http://moi3d.com/beta.htm and that may help.

A solid is not really supposed to have surfaces that fold back over right on top of themselves so you will probably have various issues related to that when you try to bring the object into other programs, some may just refuse to import it. You may need to slice the object up into some separate surfaces and remove some areas rather than having it all as one self intersecting piece.

- Michael