Hidden line removal progress

I'll just put all the replies in one message here...

@Carlos
> There's one question: i'm only able to output the 3D view, even when i choose to output
> some other view, Moi still output allways the 3D View. Maybe there's a bug or i'm doing
> something wrong.

Are you setting it by the "Projection view" option in the export dialog? (as opposed to for example just maximizing a particular view)

Do you possibly have a custom CPlane set that has altered the Top/Front/Right views to make them look as if they were a 3D view?

Do other settings on the dialog like enabling outlines on/off work ok?

@Ed
> With MoI I did a lot of design modifications "on screen" before custom-machining several parts.

This is a really cool way to use MoI and the PDF output looks great too!

@Martin
> If there wheren't some important missing lines it would be perfect. Is this my fault (bad modelling) or are you
> able to tune the export to avoid this? If you want the 3dm file let me know.

I think what you're seeing there is if 2 objects are just sticking partially through each other, they just end up hiding pieces of one another and no separate curve for the intersection between the parts is generated. Basically the hidden line removal engine will only generate silhouettes as new things to display, not intersection curves. That's mostly because it can be highly time consuming to try and generate intersections between everything. So usually to get a totally clean output you need objects not to just stick through each other but to be booleaned together so they have edge geometry where they run into each other. You can also use Construct > Curve > Isect to generate intersection curves before doing the output as well. If that doesn't describe what you're running into there, can you please send the 3DM file to me at moi@moi3d.com so I can take a look?

@Max
> Just one thing, that maybe its my fault, but lets say, for example, I make a cylinder, and export the
> front view in dxf. It should be a rectangle, and indeed it is, but at some corners the lines are not
> touching exactly. Am I doing something wrong?

Whether things are hidden or visible is determined by an internal pixel grid, so the resolution of that grid has something to do with the accuracy of how tightly a hidden spot matches up to other things. You can increase the density of the grid to get better accuracy, try adjusting the "Canvas megapixel resolution" parameter up to 30 or 40. Note that this will also generate a higher resolution shaded background image which will increase file size too.

I have a couple of ideas for some things to try to increase the accuracy of this (separate from the pixel grid density) for the cases of edges being hidden because they're crossing over a silhouette. Can you please send me the 3DM model file with the particular cylinder that you were looking at so I have a good known simple example case to work with?

For the moment though increasing the "Canvas megapixel resolution" parameter should help.

@ Stefan
> here are two simple model of mine, as .pdf output with standard settings.

Wow these are looking mighty nice! Crisp and clear. Being able to get this kind of output really easily now opens up a lot of possibilities!

Looking good so far! :)

- Michael