Hidden line removal progress

6201.22 In reply to 6201.15 
Hi Marc,

> The rendering and vector curves overlapped is something I have never seen and will be a
> major timesaver for my work.

I was hoping it would be useful for your work!

> When profile lines have less segments (joined curves) it's easier to edit afterward.
> I imagine it must be hard to set a mechanism that works great in all situations though.

Also the tricky part is maintaining accuracy, it's fairly natural for fitting mechanisms to use more points in order to make the fitted result reasonably accurate. I may be able to put in some parameters to control the accuracy level at some point but I'm not quite sure about having that done for this round of work.

> As mentioned, a closed shape for the main silouhette would be great.

Unfortunately I think that's going to be really difficult to achieve, I think the best that I'll be able to do is to have an option to just try and separate out portions of curves that are on the full object silhouette so that you will have something to work with, and if you just want to make an accented border it just having a set of curves in that area may hopefully be enough for that kind of use without it being fully closed.

> It might be interesting to have a special export window, like when exporting polygons.
> It could have a preview and some options for including the rendering or not, lighting options,
> hidden lines, resolution, etc.
>
> Or maybe a 'options' button in the export pdf file dialog window could be handy.

Yeah I haven't gotten to this UI part of it yet. I'm fairly certain that PDF export dialog will get bigger with additional options right on that dialog.

I'm not sure about doing a preview, it would be nice to have but I've got to balance that against how much time it would take to implement it, and I'm not sure if the preview is going to be really particularly useful, like I'm not sure if you'd really be using it as a basis to modify parameters or not as does happen with meshing output.

- Michael