A few things...

6196.3 In reply to 6196.2 
I actually bought the tutorial (have not completed it yet) and I have found that I have been able to follow the book.

I have bounced back and forth doing it in Rhino and MoI just so i can try to learn get a better feel for both tools.

I have had to play around with a few different methods of laying out sketches and making surfaces but I would say what I did was no more difficult that just trying to build any model on your own and struggling to find the best command to give you the result you want.

Where the book does shine though, and this is key in my opinion, is that by following the book you get to see the thinking that is used behind each sketch and surface and why things are done in a certain order. Doing things in a certain order and laying out sketches correctly from the start - whether this is what type of line or what have you - this is very important and can make problems further into your modeling that you may not be able to easily fix. I think that the book serves as a solid foundation builder for future models that you have to make using the techniques in the book as compared to extrude this, cut there, hole feature there, fillet, everyone now happy. The book is great for learning sweeping, organic and sexy surfaces and how you can make them in any project moving forward.

I would advise the tutorial for anyone that is using a program that is based on splines, lofts, sweeps, patches, etc in order to build models from surfaces. Even if in the areas that there is no MoI command that reads the same as the Rhino commands used in the tutorial you still get to see the who, what, when, where and why of the process. The commands to fill things in is almost a secondary thing as the method, generally speaking, was what I found of MUCH use.

as an FYI and this might impact my thoughts on the book - I come from an AutoCAD 3D background (version 12 to 14) and then SolidWorks from 1998 to 2008 with various other tools mixed in. My stupid brain is wired pretty hard into feature based models and union/subtract type features that were built on sketches so the sketches is very logical to me. It was my intent with the book to try to look at modeling outside of what I already knew and the book really helps. It is also simple enough, as I stated before, that you can really even use it as a guide and still get most, if not all of the car done in MoI even though it is for Rhino. Any place you get stuck there are probably 150 people here that can show you how to complete an area or fix a pucker or defect in any surface that you happen to guess incorrectly on how to make it.

Good luck!

EDITED: 27 Sep 2013 by MSHIDELER