A few things...

6196.2 In reply to 6196.1 
Hi GrandeP,

> I'm a complete noob when it comes to NURBS but I've got a
> few years experience in polygons.

Check out here for some links to discussions and general tips for people who are coming from a sub-d / poly modeling background:
http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=4865.2

> The AK3D tutorial of modeling an Audi R8 is tempting however how
> well would it translate over to MoI?

Well, car modeling is unfortunately a quite advanced type of NURBS modeling, that would be jumping right in to a high difficulty area right off the bat.

I'm not sure how well that particular tutorial translates into MoI, there are some editing tools in Rhino that MoI does not currently have.

> Considering that the tutorial was designed for Rhino, and the other question is is it
> possible to use Zebra lighting in the program to check the surfaces of said Audi R8?

MoI doesn't have a Zebra stripe feature currently. You can usually turn on metallic lighting (under Options > View > Lighting options) which gives a kind of reflective shading which does make it easier to spot creased areas though.

MoI just in general is somewhat more focused on other areas of NURBS modeling than zebra-type smooth flowing surface construction, it's more focused on using 2D curves to build objects, using booleans to slice and cut away different areas. So it may not be a great fit for that type of freeform surface with zebra inspection type of workflow that you seem to be focused on. Just in general that's a much more finicky and advanced area of NURBS modeling.

- Michael