How to put lines exactly onto a surface?

6171.12 In reply to 6171.11 
Hi Kevin, I tested both of those settings before I posted to make sure they did what I thought, and I just tested them another time right now and they're working as expected...

Did you possibly try to edit the moi.ini file while MoI was still running? That doesn't work very well since MoI writes out settings to moi.ini when it shuts down, so if you edit it while MoI is still open it's easy for your changes to be overwritten.

So please do the following - make sure you have only one instance of MoI running.

Go to Options > Snaps > Object snap options and uncheck "Project to plane in ortho views" (the second one from the top).

Now go to Options > General and push the "Edit .ini file" button. MoI will now close and moi.ini should come up for editing. You should not have any other running instances of MoI at this point.

Inside the .ini file search for DisableOnSrfInOrtho and change it to DisableOnSrfInOrtho=n

Maybe you have also run into some additional thing with grid snap, there is an additional setting for whether on surface in ortho views is enabled when grid snap is on, if you want that as well then set DisableOnSrfInOrthoWhenGridSnap=n as well.

I tested this all again right now and it's all working as expected, if you are still running into problems I guess I'll need some more detailed description. When you say "on the xy axis" do you mean snaps on the x and y axis lines, or are you talking about on the xy plane? There is an axis snap feature that snaps points onto the x or y axis lines, if you do not want that to happen turn off the Axis object snap type.

- Michael