New user: problems with a fillet

6150.19 In reply to 6150.18 
Hi Will,

> though if an command fails, it would be nice for the command pane (top left corner) to at least display
> "command failed" or "union failed" or some such instead of just disappearing.

That's already been added in for the most recent v3 beta. From the release notes:

quote:

Implement "Calculation failed" UI similar to the "Calculating..." message, but that is displayed if there was no output generated. Requested on the forum here: http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=5803.1 .

> As far as commands which sometimes do not require pressing "done" go, most recently I ran into a
> bit of frustration unioning complex solids which I had preselected.

Yeah that happens because it's also possible for Union to work with nothing initially selected in which case it asks you to select things and waits for you to push "Done". That same UI is ending up displaying for the preselection case as well. I guess that could be tuned up by hiding the "Done" button for the case of stuff having been already preselected before running the command.

The new "Calculation failed" UI should be helpful for distinguishing cases where there was not any result generated, although with boolean union there is another complication with failures in that it's not quite the case that nothing is generated from the union but that the same objects are generated out the other end but they did not cut each other up.

- Michael

EDITED: 15 Sep 2013 by MICHAEL GIBSON