Hash Animation:Master

6132.3 In reply to 6132.1 
Hi Fuchur,

> Since MoI is based on NURBS (right?)

Yup, that's correct, surfaces in MoI are trimmed NURBS surfaces.

> is there a possibility to export to Animation:Master (Patch / Spline-based modelling software) without
> using the polygone exporters (which always looses quality and is hard to import again)?

If I remember correctly, the Animation:Master spline patches are not NURBS patches but instead their own specialized kind type of spline patch. So I don't know that there is any way to do a direct spline conversion without doing any conversion into polygons.

MoI does export NURBS surfaces to several industry standard formats like IGES, 3DM, and STEP file formats, if there was a way for Animation:Master to read NURBS as spline patches the normal way that those are transferred into other programs are for the other program to use one of these standard formats to read in the NURBS data.

So that's really something that you should ask the A:M people about, whether they intent to support reading in any of those file formats in the future.

I think that possibly A:M does not support having "trim curves" on its surfaces though, which is a major complicating factor for a direct conversion - usually CAD models are not only made up of NURBS surfaces, they're actually trimmed NURBS surfaces which have areas of them marked as holes or cut away regions. It's not enough to just support spline surfaces to get these models across, it needs trimmed surface support to get a direct transfer.

- Michael