Daughters Minion WIP

My youngest daughter Kalie has been watching me do 3d for years and she wanted me to start teaching her. She is 13 and loves to draw and sketch just like I did when I was her age so we picked something current that would keep her attention, a minion from Despicable Me. So instead of starting her with a poly modeling approach which is actually harder in my opinion we used MOI. Since the minion shapes were simple we did not get into anything complex in the construction.

She was able to navigate 3d space no problem which is a not intuitive for most people I've seen. I think her playing Minecraft helped with this. We went over the tool tabs in general and explained how they were grouped and what some (not all) of them did. She has the body done and next weekend we will work on the legs and arms. When we got to this point we exported to Carrara, found textures for the iris and denim, lit the scene and rendered.

I'm very proud of her and when we finished she was as well. She did say it was harder than she thought it was because she had seen a youtube video of someone poly modeling that made it look easy. I laughed and told her people who are good at something make it look easy but there is a lot of practice and time spent getting to that point.