nurbs to obj

6040.16 In reply to 6040.14 
Hi Andrei,

> If it will be so easy Michael made the option export in quads)

Unfortunately as I mentioned previously there is a tremendous amount of work involved in doing that, it's a very different meshing process than what MoI's mesher currently does.

> Michael, just noticed that when I subdivide with smooth function model that was exported from
> moi with quads+triangles, it make all polygons quad (white).
> And when I run simple subdivide it not creates quads (red). What is the trick)?

I'm not all that familiar with ZBrush but I think when you do subdivide with "smooth" mode it does a catmull-clark subdivision, and one of the side effects from how catmull-clark subdivision works is that triangles are divided by their centroids and become quads.

Unfortunately just simply having "all quads" in just any form does not really do much good - in order to have a good sub-d cage you need not only quads but also for those quads to be arranged in a sub-d friendly topology as well.

> And it's peaty that this method can not be used to convert all to quads because it distort a bit geometry when smoothing.

It's because it's more just a side effect of quads being generated from the Catmull-Clark polygon subdivision. It's not the same kind of quadification as retpologizing gives you.

Since the "quads & triangles" output from MoI is not generally suitable for sub-d smoothing you generally shouldn't use the "smooth" modifier for doing the subdivision in ZBrush, so that it just does plain polygon decimation rather than catmull-clark subdivision.

- Michael