Moi 3D on Macpro with a new gpu

5932.4 In reply to 5932.3 
Hi DesuDeus, so I guess I remember now hearing some general grumbling that the MacPro line hasn't really been updated recently so the current crop of stuff is based on things maybe 3 to 4 years old...

So it sounds like you may have gone down a step in processing power, that's mostly probably what you're seeing.

A video card upgrade could possibly help, now that I look into it, the Radeon 5870 that you currently have is from the Radeon HD 5000 series. I looked that up and that general chipset wave was launched in 2009, and there has been the HD 6000 sand HD 7000 series since then, so your card is actually a couple of generations old at this point.

Each new generation usually brings increased processing speed and more efficient operation, and it's these speed improvements that will have the most impact for use with MoI with heavy scenes, not really just having more video memory. Any video memory increase itself doesn't really do anything for MoI in particular, but having the latest generation and most efficient GPU can help with heavy scenes.

> It's slow with edges, a bit less slower with edges off

Usually if it's not pretty dramatically faster with edges off (when you're only showing just shaded surfaces alone and no curve drawing at all), then that probably means a GPU upgrade would help.

> Is there any performance differences between moi on osx vs windows ?

I have not done any heavily detailed comparison benchmarks but from what I have seen there should not be any really big difference.

It seems like you are probably seeing the difference from going from a current generation GPU to a 2 generations older GPU I guess.

But you've also got to be careful to get a GPU that Apple supports properly, it's not generally as easy to just stick in any internal hardware because the video drivers for the Mac are coming only from Apple I think.

- Michael