Moi 3D on Macpro with a new gpu

5932.2 In reply to 5932.1 
Hi DesuDeus, do you mean the same models are noticeably slower than on your previous machine?

One thing that I'd recommend testing is whether it's edge display or shaded surface display that is slow - you can do that by going to the scene browser and first hide all edges and see what performance is like, and then hide all faces and see what performance is like.

If things are very fast with edges hidden and only shaded surfaces being displayed, and only slow when edges are being shown, then it might be possible having so many cores is actually causing a problem with too much contention between them and setting a display thread limit might help.

Also is it possible that each individual core is actually slower on this new machine than on your old one?

> I'd like to know if changing the gpu from an ati 5870 with 1gb to a GTX660 with 3gb will
> improve the framerate of MoI on large models on osx.

It's possible that it could, but if it did make an improvement it would be due to any GPU processing speed advantage, not to any larger memory available. MoI does not actually use all that much video memory and so just an increase in video memory alone will not really do anything.

> Or is there a limitation in Wine on the allocated graphic memory ?

I don't think there is any special limit to it, it just basically passes requests for resources through to the operating system. But since MoI does not particularly use a lot of video memory it doesn't really make much difference in this area anyway.

So anyway one thing you might experiment with is turning the display thread limit down, to do that go to Options > General and push the "Edit .ini file" button. Under the [View] section go to the DisplayThreadLimit= entry and experiment with a few different settings like setting it to 1, 4 or 8 and see if a lower thread limit actually improves the performance. To set the thread limit, edit the line and put the number directly after the = , like this:

DisplayThreadLimit=1

- Michael