3D COAT V 4.0 released

5929.12 In reply to 5929.11 
In fact Rhino as an option like that, that dont work very well (it's called edge softening, a post meshing effect).

In modo one solution is to use the 'rounded edge' than can produce small bevel at render time. But there are some restrictions :

1) it's a 'fake' effect, and the result can sometimes be weird if the radius a too big.
2) The angle value is limited at 40, and cant be edited. So everything lower than this angle will not be 'beveled', whatever if the shading is broken or not.
3) We cant transfer it into a normal map (from object baking).

Now it's true that it's an annoying problem. I can't give the exact numbers, but I would say that 50% of my modeling time in MoI is fighting with the fillet tool to create this micro 'cosmetic' fillets.
It's something really needed when preparing assets for normal map baking. And it's a pitty because all the time I win using nurbs is lost in this process. At the end I'm very pleased with my MOI model,
but it would be a so huge time saver.

I still find the voxelisation approach very destructive, especially tiny details are really quickly washed if the voxel grid resolution is not big enough. Some models seems to work pretty well, other not.
It's a bit like preparing models for 3d printing, you have to avoid small details that the printer cant catch.