Need some advice on bad geometry from NX Unigraphics

5870.25 In reply to 5870.18 
<<<<The import scale is a weird one. I had no idea that it was that size in MOI, and that ~4inches is right in the ballpark. Now things are even more confusing.
My reason for assuming the scales are off, is because I have a set of reliable numbers I use (for instance) for adding small bevels to certain hard edges on the products. I do enough of these products were I can count on those numbers to look right. Normally, I would use something like .1 or .25. Now, that has always worked with the ProE STEP exports I get, and they are the same products as the ones I am also now receiving from NX. But with the NX STEP file, I had to back WAY off to .001 to approximate the same edge profile.
So, I don't know what to do to figure this out.>>>>

Sounds like your Pro-E files were in MM and your new files from NX are in inches. A .25 fillet on a 4" part is rather large. A .25 fillet on a 102 mm part sounds like what you were doing. I don't think any weird scaling is going on with any of your files. Measure some of your old files. A .001 fillet is very close to a 1/4 of a mm.

I get quite a few files from Pro-e, solidworks, inventor etc. and all of them usually need a few things touched up. Things like the corners of fillets bad trims etc I don't think there is a perfect solution. Nothing a few rail sweeps wont fix. I would ask for .step and .iges files and you should have your bases covered.

P.S. I have played with via cad a few times and it would crash a bunch of larger CAD files. I my opinion MOI is much better. Every once in a while I use a open source program called free cad. I seems to have a very robust .iges and .stp importer and may be worth a try on some troublesome files.

-Shane