Freeform modeling and screen mode manipulation

5843.22 In reply to 5843.18 
Hi Pior,

> I think what I am trying to get at is that the video I posted is more about
> "refining the idea" (like, holding the object in one's hand to observe it from all
> angles, and making minute adjustments accordingly to balance it based on a rough
> idea sketch) rather than building it accuratley ; <....>

Yeah currently MoI is not really very focused on this area of refinement or tweaking of 3D forms directly. Currently the focus is much more just on being able to construct an initial shape at all, and there is still more stuff to do just in this area first before I'll really focus very hard on tweaking and refinement.

Eventually I do want to have a deeper history mechanism where you'll be able to set up various 2D curves as I showed above to use for the construction, and then be able to edit those curves and have the final result update. That will then give tweakability while still using that 2D curve driven workflow.

That does exist to a limited extent in MoI currently - you can edit the 2D curves that went into a surface creation command like extrude, loft, or sweep and as you edit them the result surface will update, but this updating will not persist if you do further edits to the surface like doing booleans or trimming of it. In the future that's what I want to extend.

> Unfortunately and after years of searching I haven't found a great versatile (and fast !)
> environment to fit such needs ... IHeartSketch came close but unfortunately never got
> released and doesn't have any surfacing tools anyways ; <....>

Unfortunately it's very difficult for a computer algorithm to do the same job as your human judgement and intuition when it comes to filling in a wire outline.

Did you ever check out FreeDimension? I'm not sure if it's still being developed but it's something kind of along the lines of what you are looking for I think..... EDIT: I guess it's gone, their web site does not seem to exist anymore.

- Michael