Freeform modeling and screen mode manipulation

Hi Michael, and hello to all MOI users too :)

I have been following MOI and keeping in touch with the new releases since version 1, and it has been a pleasure to see how the program has been growing so powerful over time without sacrificing its fantastic ease of use. However there is one missing feature that happens to be essential to my workflow with the program, and I would like to explain my reasoning.

My primary use for a program like MOI is fast iteration and rapid blockout modeling. That is to say, my interest in not so much in the clean surface continuity of NURBS models (which is quite ironic since MOI is pretty great at this !) but more in the quick construction of simple structures and forms to later use as underpaintings in Photoshop to provide a refined pre-production concept image of a product.

Now thanks to my background in low and high polygon modelling I would have no problem building regular polygon meshes in programs like Max or Maya - but there is something much more intuitive, smooth, and fast about MOI that I want to leverage.

This brings me to my request. In about every 3D modeling and sculpting program, the user can enable screen-space transformation for any operation (translate, rotate, scale) meaning that there is no need to leave perspective mode and switch to an orthographic view in order to perform a silhouette change. This is especially crucial for models being build without access to any orthographic blueprints : in such cases, the modeling and review processes take place exclusively in perspective mode, and very often one needs to edit and move control points according to this view.

However I have been having a lot of trouble performing this kind of intuitive transformations in MOI. They work great in orthographic views, but seem to be uncontrollable in perspective. I am attaching a few screenshots explaining my problem below.

(It's also very possible that I am missing something obvious, like a hidden setting or a shortcut - if so please let me know !)

Also if you need to see more test cases of this issue, I would be happy to provide other examples and comparison videos showing the desired behavior as seen in other 3D programs.

Thank you so much for your time!

P

EDITED: 20 Apr 2013 by PIOR_O

Image Attachments:
Size: 402.8 KB, Downloaded: 90 times, Dimensions: 1121x2342px