Steph probs

582.18 In reply to 582.17 
Hi Pilou, I have finished the fix for the earlier one now, so that surfaces of revolution are handled properly and it will not attempt to flip an object that has a surface of revolution inside of a larger assembly. This corrects the normal direction of that open surface that you attached earlier, this will be in the next beta.

> Curious bug ! (?)
> Bug 1 Revolve has given these artefact under
> but when you copy past the section and make again a revolve all works!

This type of artifact near the pole area usually means some kind of alignment problem with the axis, where the endpoints of the revolved surface are slightly separated or overlapping each other instead of merged into one common single point.

The problem here is the profile curve is just very slightly above the origin in z, if you zoom in tightly to the front view you will see this gap:

That is only a small distance (0.0008 units) above, but still above it... It's large enough to cause the alignment problem.

What happened here is the revolve with the artifact in it was created by snapping the revolve axis to the origin or the grid, which is slightly off from the endpoints. When Steph tried it the second time after copy/paste, he probably snapped the revolve axis using endpoint object snap which then would produce the cleaner result.

I should probably do something like automatically move the endpoints of the profile curve to be directly on the axis if they are within a very small distance like this. That would fix this problem up automatically.

> Bug 2 Impossible to make a boolean diff !
> but when you load it all works!

Hmmm, thanks for sending this. That one is going to be hard to figure out since the problem doesn't repeat anymore. Maybe I will be able to compare it to other reports later on and see some kind of pattern.

> Not a bug
> Fillets block on construction line!

Yes, this is a limitation of the current fillet engine. Fillets won't cross an edge boundary like this. I hope that this will be improved in future versions of the geometry library that I am using.

> An automatic function closing curves / Surfaces ? (like "planar" but for any curves :)

This is the type of thing that an "N-sided patch" typ[e tool can possibly be used for. But unfortunately that one is not currently working well enough, it's another one that I hope will improve to work well in a future version.

Can you ask Steph if he has run into any program crashes while using MoI recently?

Thanks!

- Michael
Attachments: