art-relief on a surface

581.2 In reply to 581.1 
Hi Rudy, you can use your curves to cut some other solid or surface. There are a couple of different ways to do it, one of the easiest ways is to select both your solid and the cutting curve and then run Construct / Boolean / Merge. This will slice your solid by the curve and leave all the pieces behind, then you delete the pieces you don't want to keep.

However, some of your drawn curves won't work for this as they currently are, since not all of them are closed. To cut a surface, the curve should either be closed, or it needs to divide the surface fully into 2 different parts.

Here is one quick example:

To create this, I first drew a kind of shallow arc shape in the front view using Draw curve / Freeform / Control points. Then I extruded it so that it extended over top of your sun face, and then thickened that extruded surface into a solid by using Construct / Offset / Shell. This resulted in a kind of slab that was over top of your curves.

Then I selected the thick slab, and the curves that you drew that were closed, and used Construct / Boolean / Merge to slice it up, and deleted the unwanted pieces.

Let me know if you would like more details on this method.

For bas-relief, MoI doesn't really have any tools that are oriented towards this type of modeling. For that type of a thing you'll probably need to use some more specialized software, I think one commonly used one is ArtCAM, but I'm not really familiar with it.

It is possible to do some kinds of relief work by trimming holes and then putting in some blends, but it is rather difficult work and isn't quite the same thing as generating a relief directly from your sketch.

- Michael
Attachments: