General thoughts

5725.4 In reply to 5725.3 
Hi ed,

> Every program I can think of (not that I know hundreds) like Modo, Autocad, Photoshop, Illustrator,
> always have a name active. Modo have both, the equivalent of objects and styles and it always
> has an object active.

Many of these though have the concept of a "layer" being active, not really an "object name" being active.

The closest equivalent to a "layer" in MoI is styles, and as you know you can have an "active style" already.

As far as I know it's the same in Illustrator, right - you can have a layer active, but not an "object" itself being active. In the Layers palette if I select a named object inside there and then draw a totally new shape, the shape goes on the active layer but does not also get added to that named object on top of that.

> > "It could possibly "hurt" if it needed to have a special additional control added for it which was
> > always taking up extra space in the scene browser and didn't serve any other purpose"
>
> Thinking about that, the indicator may be the background colour (or the font colour) of
> the name and the trigger can be a right clic.

Hmm, I don't know - that's then highly inconsistent with setting the active style. It would be pretty weird to have 2 similar things within the same scene browser UI but that displayed themselves totally differently.

- Michael