Can't make a boolean subtract .. ?

5698.8 In reply to 5698.7 
Hi again Michael (& Moi forums),

I've now had a bit more time to look at what you have given me for feedback. Unfortunately, I made an initial size "mis-assessment" so I've had to re-work the model more or less from scratch. This also made me change some of the less optimum solutions in the first model, however, also means that I can't directly use the model you (Michael & Brian) helpfully looked at for me.... :-(

... Yet, in the new model I've tried to implement some of the understandings I got from your suggestions and the model looks fine enough to me. There's might be an issue, though, and that is that when I (to make sure that the bottom surface is completely level) delete some of the bottom faces (see attached image) and try to re-insert them using construct -> planar - then in the outer ring a new bottom face is not inserted. I get the message that there are e.g. "5 edges" but no new face is made. I wonder if this is important as the face was in place before I deleted it?

My main consideration really is that I'm going to have the model (relatively) expensively 3D printed - and the last time I printed a similar model (a more or less "positive" version of this model which is a molding form, i.e. the "inverse") the bottom surface got curved from side to side. The printing company (shapeways) didn't know why it happened except that something might have gone amiss in the printing process. Before printing the former model - and also before sending this one off to printing I did a second check in Meshlab and both look(ed) as they are supposed to do.

To that end might I ask you to quickly look at the bottom face and see if it's level? The way my eyes look - maybe at this point in learning time - it seems to be fine to me (no lines sticking out) but since I can't make the planar function work I wonder if it's not level?

You don't have to make it level for me - I'd "just" appreciate knowing what isn't.

Many Greetings,

Jesper

Comment to the image:

planar_1: Outer ring won't re-make a surface after being deleted.
Attachments:

Image Attachments:
Size: 267.2 KB, Downloaded: 16 times, Dimensions: 800x600px