Offset

hello Michael and Moi forum

i guess this is weird having a conversation spanning across different forums but pilou did post your response at scf to which i replied:

-------------------
awesome seeing michael's opinion! I wish more devs would talk in that much detail on their apps behavior.
I think he raises some good points about user expectation vs 'true offset' as offsetting may not have a strict geometric definition (at least I've searched around for an actual definition in the course of this thread and couldn't find one ;) )

that said, I definitely don't think he'd find sketchup's solution acceptable as it doesn't return consistent distance even in the obvious (non corner) areas.

his last examples are good ones for backing up the way moi offsets.. especially the V example as I've built similar shaped walls and I cut the plates the same way as he's shown.

there are equally examples of how that method would be undesirable such as the example I posted earlier when the offset distance is enough to make the arc come back around and start forming a very sharp point. (and I didn't test last night as to what happens if I would of offset that even further.. I'm curious to get to a computer now to test it out ;) )

but I do think he's right that 'an actual strict definition' would be what you get with the round corner option because it give true offset value everywhere along the path. (rhino and illustrator both have those options as well but I left them out of the conversation.. but I now see those options as viable when talking about this stuff)

anyway.. thanks for asking him and @michael, thanks for answering him (though I honestly hope you didn't wade through thiese 30 pages to see me thanking you :lol: )[/quote]
-------------------------

so yeah.. i'll post here as a more personal way to say thank you for your insight.