Michael

5672.16 In reply to 5672.13 
And just to put things in a bit more perspective - MoI is really focused much more on the basic concept of constructing models from 2D drawn curves and using booleans to cut pieces with another, that's the most fundamental area where NURBS modeling is particularly strong in.

Things that involve curvature continuity tend to be more in the realm of organic shape modeling - NURBS modeling becomes a lot more difficult in that area and often times those kinds of models are really better done in a polygon modeling package rather than any kind of CAD program at all.

The stuff that you're talking about is all much more in that realm of semi-organic type modeling - the initial main focus of MoI is not really strongly in that area, like I mentioned it's much more in the overall concept of using 2D illustration techniques to construct 3D objects. This works great for a wide variety of mechanical like shapes. For more organic swoopy shapes I mostly assume that most people are going to create that in a poly modeling package instead of in CAD at all, that's basically why there is not really all that much focus on continuity controls in the earlier stages of MoI's existence.

Some people seem to think that "concept modeling" is only about making swoopy organic melted looking things, but I think that's a very narrow view - really anything that allows you to do stuff quickly and easily can help to express "concepts" as well - just getting an idea from your head into a model is part of that, it's not like it's not allowed to be a "concept" if it doesn't have perfect looking Zebra reflection lines.

Hopefully this may explain a bit more about the overall design strategy of MoI, particularly as to why I've focused early on more on 2D construction techniques instead of areas that require more in depth comprehensive knowledge of NURBS modeling in order to be effective with them.

Like for example what you were asking about in your original post about keeping a projection as the same degree curve as the surface that it's on - that require a whole lot of very specific and advanced knowledge for someone to really even know what that means - that's very much against the overall direction of MoI. MoI is trying to bring some of the strongest areas of NURBS modeling (2D construction techniques and booleans basically) to be useful to people without requiring them to have an advanced math or engineering degree to understand how to do everything.

As time goes on I am trying to fill in more and more feature areas for the sort of traditional "Industrial design" swoopy concept model stuff, but I am approaching it carefully because I don't want MoI to become some kind of cryptic high learning curve and unapproachable software as is typically the case for such things.

- Michael