Advantages of v3 for "meshing users"?

5637.10 In reply to 5637.9 
Hi Micha, I just now took a look at your FBX example, and from what I can see the "layers" in there are not implemented by any of those FBX layer methods that I mentioned before (with the things that FBX format itself calls "layers" which are like channels for Normals, Materials, or UV data), but rather by an object hierarchy with Null objects being used as a parent object that has that layer name.

That's probably not going to be a good match for what MoI calls "styles", which would more naturally map to materials rather than an parent/child object hierarchy.

Also from what I can see I'm not sure that Null objects in FBX have any way to have colors assigned to them - that's probably why color information is lost when Rhino converts this kind of hierarchy into its layers. So again that's probably not really a good way to do it, it's not a good mechanism to use for it if it can't convey color properties.

Is that correct that you lose all layer colors when importing your FBX example file into Rhino ?

So from what I can see right now I can't really see implementing this kind of Null parent object method for exporting layer data out from MoI - the primary focus for most mesh export from MoI is for use in rendering and that would be a pretty weird way to do it (with no colors coming through) rather than using material assignments.

.... Or maybe it is possible that a KFbxNull can have a color property assigned to it, I'm not entirely sure about that. But even if that's possible it would probably be pretty unlikely that rendering programs would actually look at that rather than at the material assignment.

- Michael