Podcast interview about MoI and programming

5543.19 In reply to 5543.18 
Hi PaQ,

> I hardly try to understand why they dont make the jump, but it seems
> that something scares them, I cant explain.

Probably just that some people are more resistant to change or to trying things outside their current zone of experience... And that can be understandable, I mean it is a pretty different style of modeling that does need new skills to be developed.

Also NURBS kind of has a "bad reputation" in CGI circles just in general because of several reasons - a long time ago it used to be the standard method for doing any kind of smooth surfaces at all, including faces and characters but sub-d modeling has replaced it for those kinds of tasks, and when that happened a lot of people in that particular industry seemed to take that to mean that "NURBS are obsolete" when in other industries like stuff involving manufacturing they were never obsolete. Also the NURBS toolsets in many of the long existing animation packages like 3DS Max, Softimage, etc... are very old and don't really give a very good example the strong points of NURBS, so that helps to perpetuate that obsolete idea.

It can be amazing for me to see the amount of struggling people will go through trying to model something with circular holes in it using sub-d modeling... I think I remember one thread over on the Modo forum where you told someone that the thing they were struggling with would only take 20 seconds to do in MoI and they didn't seem to totally believe you and asked you to post a video and I think it was literally 20 seconds in your video, not "time lapse" or sped up like those zbrush demo videos always are...

- Michael