Grid Array behaviour.

5521.6 In reply to 5521.5 
Hi Martin, usually I try to avoid having a "Preview" type button and instead just do the preview.

> I think I was expecting it to be a bit like, say the Fillet tool, where you
> can see what you'll get before commiting.
>
> Things feels a little different, because as soon as the numbers have been entered
> and you've clicked OK in the calculator pop-up, it moves straight to the next stage.

Yeah well it is definitely different from Fillet because Fillet only has parameters to adjust in the final stage, while Array grid is broken up into 2 different stages with each stage having some parameters.

But I don't know how I could show a preview for things only while in the "number of copies" stage, because there is not enough information gathered up at that time to actually generate a result, in order to make the array I need to know the number of copies as well as the spacing to be used, and the spacing gets defined in the second stage...

So it could be possible for me to show a preview for when you're drawing the spacing rectangle, but I don't see how I could show it on the "setting number of copies" stage, with how the command is currently structured.

I guess you might be asking about combining all those options together into all one single stage instead of having multiple stages. But trying to break things down into some separate steps is one of the ways that helps to keep things more simplified and easier to use in general because it keeps each individual task somewhat more focused, so that's another thing that I try to do in general to make things easier to use.

What is the situation where you are making an array and you don't know how many copies you need to generate, are you trying to do something like fill a particular region with a pattern? Maybe if I knew more about the situation that you're having difficulty with I could try to make some other alternate tool or some other mode for the array that would work better for that kind of use case.

- Michael