Grid Array behaviour.

5521.2 In reply to 5521.1 
Hi Martin, there's a pretty good mixture of both kinds of tools in MoI, meaning both ones that try to finish when they have everything they need as well as some that are more "review and tweak" oriented.

Almost all the drawing tools are the "quick acting" kind that do not have an extra review step, for example when you draw a line it finishes when you place the 2nd point, you don't review the finished line and then accept it, and when drawing a circle once you click a point for the radius the circle command finishes and doesn't sit around waiting for you to review what the radius was in an additional stage. That kind of behavior kind of helps these commands flow along a bit quicker, because a review step would require an additional click.

But then other commands may have additional options that can be adjusted on a kind of final "options" stage.

Sometimes it's been a judgement call where if I suspect that the result may be hard to visualize and that there may be a lot of undo/relaunching involved then I may go ahead and add in an extra review and adjust stage.

But since adding in new stages adds more steps to finish the command, it's basically the default strategy to not do it - I mean imagine if every time you drew a line you had to do 3 things to finish the line instead of only 2 things, that would get to be annoying pretty quick.

Which part do you find yourself needing to change often while doing the grid array, is it the number of copies you're making, or just the spacing, or both ?

If it's the spacing some kind of dynamic preview while drawing the spacing rectangle might help to solve that, one reason though that I did not try that initially is that you can often be making a pretty large amount of copies using array grid and that's somewhat difficult to deal with dynamically because of the performance hit. In the time since array grid was originally designed I do now have a mechanism in place to make a lighter weight preview of copied geometry so it could be more feasible to do it now.

- Michael