MoI 3D and Modo

5506.6 In reply to 5506.1 
Hi Desudeus,

I know you have asked about workflow and I will get to that but wanted to set the scene for our use of Moi and Modo first;

I can only speak from by own business perspective but we use the Moi3D and Modo 601 exclusively and have done since I started started the company in 2010. Spaceclaim is also used as an engineering layout platform. I came from a business that was using a workflow that used 3Dmax & Autodesk Mechanical (plus Adobe products). The three main reason for Moi and Modo choice were speed and cost. Speed - for us Modo and Moi, together, have reduced the speed to store of all the retail fixtures, stores and exhibition booths we design. By eliminating the duplication of layout that 3Dmax and Inventor required. Mesh models had to be completely rebuilt from scratch to allow factory build. With Moi (which I have been using since 2008) we do the following to halve the time to market;
1- model exclusively in Moi - all designers use this as a base tool as it all unbelievably rapid store build. We also use Spaceclaim to push / pull 3dm files around, make changes and layout technical drawings. A good partner programme.
2- Export LWO (v10 at present due to errors in the modo format) - pre applying styles in Moi is a bonus as as you build a scene from imported parts in Modo you can delete the imported materials and all the pre made materials get assigned to existing Moi 'styles' on the new imports. This can be great if you are building a house style for client that always uses a base pallet of materials. A time saver! The mesher in Moi also allow fast mesh optimization without having to have other plugins in Modo, a cost saver. Good for interior scenes where you are never going to get too close to any one objects and see the facets.
3- Large scenes - use Moi to build sections of a scene in parts as Moi LWO files import in the associate position. Another good bonus.
4 - Modo - used exclusively for scene building (from Moi parts), tweaking some meshes, applying maps, instancing multiple meshes, lighting and animation.
5 - Rendering - we network render (5 nodes) to speed up the big scenes.
6 - A good dose of photoshop to finish the images...

Benefit 2; Cost
Here in the UK 3Dmax and Autodesk Mechanical (icluding subs) are approx £9,600 for new seats ($15,300 approx). When you are building a studio this a lot of money! But Moi / Modo / Spaceclaim are £4,700 approx total ($7,500 approx) a big saving with a big increase in productivity.

Benefit 3; Learning curve
Modo and Moi are amazingly easy to learn. I can safely say (from personal experience) you can turn our decent models / renders with the Moi / Modo duo in a day from never using them (if you are an experienced cad monkey)

Other Moi benefits for us are;
1- ai import / export - Moi is so much better for creating base patterns / outline illustrations with a technical bent.
2- The very adaptable Moi visual interface is great for early selling in of concepts without rendering time.

I have attached a sample image of a job we delivered to Harrods last year. On our website www.double-europe.com all projcts you can see have been built in Moi3D and were rendered (originally) in Modo.

I hope this helps, a long blog... but hopefully usefull to all
Image Attachments:
Size: 71.9 KB, Downloaded: 229 times, Dimensions: 586x753px
Size: 45.7 KB, Downloaded: 185 times, Dimensions: 583x504px