MoI 3D and Modo

5506.5 In reply to 5506.1 
Hi DesuDeus, so normally with Modo I would recommend using LWO format.

And if you're using Modo 601 you will need to set the option under Options > Import/Export > LWO options > "Vertex normals sstyle" to be: "LightWave v10".

The "Modo" setting there actually applies to Modo version 501 or previous, not 601. Starting with Modo 601 they switched how they interpret vertex normals from LWO files to be the same as LW10 so you want to use that setting there for Modo 601.

I've got it on my todo list to modify the labeling of that setting in MoI to make this clearer.

> There's a Modo kit for Nurbs that can import IGES and STP etc.. is it good ?
>
> Does this kit import MoI .3DM also ?

I don't think that kit imports 3DM, and from what I've heard even people who have that kit tend to like to use MoI to do the mesh conversion because the kit does not seem to do "native" n-gon generation, from what I remember it tries to take some initially triangulated output and then patches them together to try and make n-gons rather than the tessellator directly generating them like MoI's does.

So it's worth testing it but I'm not sure that you would gain a whole lot by using it.

In previous versions of Modo there was a separate 3DM import plug-in but it only read in display mesh data from the 3DM file and did not process the NURBS data directly, so it did not work with 3DM files saved out of MoI since MoI only writes NURBS data into 3DM files and not display meshes. So don't get too excited if you see a mention of that one either... ;)

> What about Modo triangulation when importing Ngons ? Had some problems with
> extruded text in Ngons from MoI to C4D

There can occasionally be problems with n-gon triangulation with certain n-gon shapes but it's pretty unusual to run into it. You should usually be able to use n-gons and switch to "Quads & triangles" only in particular cases where you see a problem.

- Michael