relative constraint with polylines drawing...

547.5 In reply to 547.4 
Hi labuzz -

> With your clean poly output and a low price ( 200/300 USD ) your tool can be
> a real success in the entertainment ( video game, videos,... and the "polygon"
> world...) and archi fields.

I hope that you're right! :) The price for version 1.0 will be right around US $200, so it should be pretty easy for someone to pick it up as an additional tool.

Yes - the clean polygon output is a particularly interesting feature that is unique to MoI (for NURBS modeling software)... As I'm sure you know, converted meshes are normally a big mess of triangles but with MoI's clean n-gon export you instead get meshes that often have a real "hand-optimized" feel to them. This really opens up a lot more potential for what you can do with your models.

> Be sure to not loose the low level workflow. example:

Yup, that's definitely a big focus!

> ( feature request : because MoI has a point primitive we should be able to grab some
> points from a geometry/curve, transform that points, hit CTRL-C,hit undo, hit CTRL-V..
> and voila a snapshot of those points...not the geometry )

This makes sense. I'm a little worried about those points getting replicating unintentionally, so what I will do is only copy those points to the clipboard as independent point objects if there are only control points selected and not any regular objects.

> * What is the fastest way to orient an object like another one?

For V1 this will require several operations - first drag one cube to the other and snap their endpoints together. Then you have to do a series of 3 rotations using Transform / Rotate / Rotate axis, using different edges of the target box as your rotation axis - for each of these you snap one of the angular reference points on to the box you are rotating to move that point into some plane of the target box. Let me know if you would like a step-by-step overview of this, it is kind of difficult.

I expect to add some additional rotation and orientation tools for V2 that will make stuff like this a lot easier.

> * Any plan on deformers like bend, shear, FFD ?

Possibly eventually, but these will be quite a long ways out - longer than V2. There are some big technical difficulties with doing these transforms (except shear), here are some posts with a bit of info on that:

http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=523.13
http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=412.103

> *Bezier curves?

I'm not really planning on these because Bezier curves tend to have breaks in their smoothness. Typical Bezier curve drawing strings together a bunch of little bezier curves and only guarantees tangent smoothness between each different piece. There is another type of smoothness between curves called "curvature", which is basically what type of circle the curve resembles at a particular point. Bezier curves don't have matching curvature between each of their little pieces (unless you have used only all "symmetrical" style nodes). This is not so noticable for 2D illustration (although you can still see it there if you know what you are looking for), but once you start building 3D stuff these smoothness breaks tend to become more magnified.

> *Revolve,extrude, a point to build a curve?

I haven't really thought about this one - this would be easy to do in a future version though.

> * draw a circle, now you want to draw the diameter. If I start from the center I can
> only draw a radius. Some sort of "mirror" drawing is needed for lines.

If I understand you correctly, this is one of the cool things you can do with construction lines in the current version.

When you drag out a construction line, the "reflected endpoints" are available.

Here's an example - let's say that we want to draw a square that is exactly straddling an existing line segment:

Start the Draw curve / Rect / 3 pts command. Before you place the first point, drag a construction line from the end of the line to the end of where you want your square to start:

There is now an "end" snap available on the second point that you clicked to define the construction line. Place the first point of the square there. Now the cool part - go to the other side of the line, and there is another "end" snap available over there for the same distance as between point 1 and 2:

I believe this is the mirrored point that you are talking about. You can basically drop a construction between any 2 points and get the mirrored point on the other side.

You can use the "square" snap built into the rectangle commands to finish up the square:

Let me know if you meant something different...

> *hide unselected...maybe its already there.

This one is possible if you use a script macro, check out Petr's script page I think it has something there you can use: http://kyticka.webzdarma.cz/3d/moi/ , let me know if you need help setting this up.

The new beta should be ready in a few hours, I think...

- Michael