relative constraint with polylines drawing...

547.29 In reply to 547.27 
Hi Michael,

>I'd be very surprised if the current system is not what artists expect - your message here is actually the very first complaint that I've heard about it!

Typically most people are more concerned about "up, down, left, and right" instead of "x,y,z".

The current system rotates objects to preserve what is considered the "up" direction.

Sorry I must be more specific here. I am talking about a 3d real time pipeline mainly. In such pipeline you export a geometry and you have to consider the complete orientation of the object not just the up direction. Look at this example, this is a car that I have done : the car is pointing in the positive Z direction and the driver is on the positive X side. So if I am using MoI to build a mesh ( the starting point ! ) I would need to transform the mesh in my "final"(-> export) software. This is a room for errors ( and this error can be difficult to see early in the process with a more "generic" type of mesh...) that won't be accepted in many companies...it may sound stupid but its true.
Most meshs from MoI won't be used for the final output but they will need to match the low polygon version(-> for backing :normal map, occlusion, ...). Another thing is the fact that MoI will be used as a starting point mainly.

>I guess I don't really understand what you would prefer instead

Actually you have 2 solutions ( not necessary for v1 ) :
* provide a more complete output.
*Allow us to build in the correct orientation right from the start-> Let me choose the "ground" plane ( and based on this choice, feature like vertical snap should follow of course ).

>yep straight snap ( vertical snap ) is what I was looking for, don't know why I have miss that..It's an old rhino feature too if I remember correctly. Tks for the info on the workflow with Clines and I can't wait for an arbitrary construction plane ( maybe in v2 )!
Attachments: