relative constraint with polylines drawing...

547.12 In reply to 547.11 

Hi guys,

>I've thought about that a bit, but I've sort of been trying to avoid showing colors for different axes because it tends to lead to confusion later on when the construction planes can be re-oriented to arbitrary planes instead of along a world plane. For V1 they are always aligned to world planes, but I'd like to allow them to have different orientations in the future.

IMO being able to know the current orientation of the construction plane is important.This is especially true when you model in the 3d View ( BTW it would be cool to be able to maximize the "current" viewport with a keyboard shortcut....maybe its already possible I have not investigate that ) and when you zoom on some parts.

>Hmmm, there actually already is a rotation happening by default for OBJ export that is supposed to solve this problem. I just tried a quick test export into modo, and it seemed to import into the expected orientation there. What steps are you using to get a different result?

Yes there's already a rotation ( z up to y up ) . Actually I cancel this rotation to go back to MoI space(->counterclockwise around the x axis to be in the same space ) The fact is that your choice ( I prefer consistency instead.... if you cant provide a complete solution ) is not the expected result for most artists I think. For example I have a cone which is pointing in the positive Y direction and located on the positive x side. Most artists will expect to get this cone to be located on the positive X side and oriented in the POSITIVE Z direction. Again your choice is not a problem for me but can be confusing for some artists. If you stay on this choice be sure to have a very clear documentation.
Some people wont "change" their pipeline ( -> wont allow artists to use MoI ) just because of that ( this is especially true in the video game industry )...

>I find those programs that alter the visible grid scale all the time to be very disorienting, it tends to cause me to lose my sense of scale.

Yes me too. I am using lightwave and modo for modeling. In those softs the grid scale is changing all the time and I don't like that. I think you don't need to change the grid scale based on this feature. The most important is to able to toggle this feature on the fly and see the current step.

>Version 1.0 is more focused on creating surfaces by construction methods based on drawing curves

Drawing curves in the 3d view is very important IMO ( try amapi if you havn't -> Look at the constraint system and the "adaptive" features ).
amapi 6 is free :
http://forums.polyloop.net/software-misc-logiciels-divers/

amapi7 :
http://downloads.e-frontier.com/us/user/home.php?cat=1349

Borhan.

EDITED: 23 Apr 2007 by LABUZZ