General newbie question.

546.2 In reply to 546.1 
> (Maybe a good "in-summary" question would be, if I have MOI and renderer
> and don't care about animation or character/anatomical stuff...what else do I need?)

Well, probably nothing else. But it depends a bit on what you want to do with your 3D models.

If you want to make rendered images of them, then you don't need anything else, you'll be able to do that with MoI and Carrara.

If you want to make stuff like printed 2D blueprints from your models, then you would need another CAD program to handle that, MoI doesn't do that part right now.

> My main question is - how does NURBS compare to sub-z as far as
> architectural/vehicular/mechanical modeling goes as far as EASE, productivity, and workflow?

These are the general areas where NURBS has advantages.

Sub-d modeling is kind of more like sculpting in clay - it's kind of like you're squishing and pulling points on a cage to manipulate your shape.

NURBS modeling tends to be more what I sometimes call "construction" oriented. You tend to draw outline curves and then use construction tools to create surfaces from them. It's more like you are drawing shapes rather than sculpting them.

Also one of the biggest advantages to NURBS are better boolean operations, for instance slicing or cutting one object with another. This allows for things like precise holes bored through an object which is a very common thing with mechanical type models. NURBS in general works a lot more similar to traditional drafting, so stuff that has a history of using technical drafting (architecture and mechanical) fits into place easier with NURBS tools.

If your desired shape has a whole bunch of little tiny lumpy bumpy details like for instance a human face has, then that's when the sub-d sculpting type approach tends to become a lot easier to manipulate those details.

- Michael