Feature ideas maybe...

5387.5 In reply to 5387.3 
Hi Mike,

though it's true I can do basically the same with Moi for the cplane thing but in SW I this command is pretty intuitive to use and it could be a nice addition. I would be plenty satisfied with a script that does pretty much with the same thing.

>Switching between flat views give you some measure of control... I personally would like the ability to go back to a pre-existing spline curve and start adding and drawing more points as if you didn't end it before. Currently you have to draw another curve snapped to the end and then Join and Rebuild.

I would find that pretty nice as well.

>There are ways to achieve this result. If your Loft contains a mirror set of profile curves, then the mid-point will we symmetrical. Often, if I want to Blend or create something that comes out exactly 90 degrees from the "mirror plane", I'll take the profile on the mirror line and Extrude a straight surface to the opposite side of the mirror allowing me to use Blend to create a tangent surface from the mirror.

Though I understand there are what I would call "workarounds" to do this in Moi, IMHO I think this constraint stuff provides a much more elegant solution to the problem. I understand as well from what Michael pointed out, that this kind of stuff would require a great deal of work which ever way you look at it.

>MoI has a lot going for it with it's current surfacing tools though. The new Iso-Curve Trim has turned out to be really helpful!
For instance, sometimes the edges of two surfaces are very long curves and fall out of tolerance at some places and there may be a few disconnected slivers in places along the seam that don't want to Join.
Just Iso-Curve Trim that problem area and the little split will often disappear.

The way I see this constraint stuff which is presented quite nicely in the video (beginning at 27:20 or just about) and where you also see pretty well the structure of a Nurbs surface being created. Basically what we see live is that a Nurbs surface is (always) a square surface with a more or less dense set of mesh like isocurve (probably) that is "fitted" using continuity constraint for each edge, when it's all done (for each edge) the surface is trimmed to those same edge and this give the us the pretty nice patch we see. All this tells me that the algorythm for this kind of stuff exist, now does the library Micheal uses for Moi have it ready to be used, that's another story. My guess is that it is not bundle into a single function and it would require Michael to create it. It's possible also that even continuity function required for this may not be implemented in such a way that they can be used as is for the function required for this kind of stuff and implies even more work.

As Michael pointed out in is reply, this would also require UI stuff that might not be so easy to implement. I just know enough about maths to know this continuity stuff in 3D is way above the competance of most people on this earth and well above mine for sure.

As I said before, when I saw this continuity stuff in the video I immediatly saw that this functionality would be a great addition to Moi but I understand a neet feature like that, however useful it may be, is definitely another story to implement.

Regards,
Felix