Feature ideas maybe...

5387.12 In reply to 5387.11 
Hi Felix,

> what I like about this functionality is that we just need to select a surface or a 3D curve
> and by clicking this icon, the view switches automatically normal to this surface or curve.
> I just think it could speedup the workflow.

Do you mean only the 3D view would switch? Or do you mean the 2D Top view in MoI would switch?

MoI's viewports are set up somewhat differently than SolidWorks, since MoI has the multi-view system where you have separate Top/Front/Right views in addition to the freely rotating 3D view.

If you want to position the Top/Front/Right views, the CPlane tool already does exactly that.

It's overall bad for UI complexity to add in new icons that essentially just do the same thing as an existing tool, that's one way that the UI can easily become bloated and so full of icons that it's no longer easy to find stuff inside of it. Things like that can be implemented as plug-ins though, that may be a better fit for something like this.

I'm still not entirely sure what you are asking for though, because if you want to do 2D work right on that spot of the surface normal like I've mentioned several times the cplane tool in MoI will do that already, and if you don't want to do 2D work right on that spot I don't quite understand what the purpose of the view change would really accomplish.

> The main idea though is still about constraint and or relation and especially, in case of curve,
> we can specify these constraint at each end independently and in the case of surface, we
> can specify these constraint edge by edge.

That fits under what I was describing earlier about a "Match" command that would edit a curve or a surface to be smooth to another object. It will likely be more like an edit tool that adjusts the curve or surface and not quite exactly a "constraint" since constraint sort of implies that it's being used in some kind of history mechanism.

> Does this mean the library use for this kind of stuff (Solid++ I think) doesn't
> have a function for this already? Just curious.

It does sort of have one, but it has the problem that I described earlier that it tends to have quite a lot of undulations in the output surface. So it's not particularly useful as-is.

- Michael