doodling with MoI

534.11 In reply to 534.10 
Hi Jesse,

Just a quick note - there are also several other uses for clines than what I mentioned above, those were just what those particular menu items can be used for.

> Would it be practical or possible to have C-lines stay on-screen for as long as you decide?

I do want to do this eventually, there are just a few details that haven't been worked out yet.

> Maybe you could put a universal c-line on-off switch on the right click of the white
> c-line tab under the other options such as relocate, etc..

That would work well for a "Keep clines" option to make them stick around, but it wouldn't work so great for a way to remove them. That's because that little bullet only shows up right now after you have created a construction line, so if that was the only way to remove them you would have to create another cline to remove them, which is pretty weird.

So it is the removal part that hasn't really been figured out yet.

If there was such a thing as an "object browser" pane that let you see a type of tree view of all the objects in the scene, then construction lines could be listed there and that might be a good way to remove them as well.

> The next logical thing that comes to mind, would be the ability
> to mirror and rotate in the 3d viewport, which according my understanding would
> need the backdrop of a construction plane to anchor the mirror or rotation.

Actually, arbitrary rotation works right now in the 3d viewport by using the "Rotate Axis" variant under the rotate transform - for that you pick 2 points which defines the axis of rotation. Then you can enter an angle, or you can actually pick some points with the mouse which will track on a kind of temporary construction plane perpendicular to that axis. Eventually there will be some other similar option for mirror, just not in V1.

> I have, on occasion, created object-oriented cplanes in Rhino, but I have
> not needed them very often, so I'm not sure how necessary it would actually be at this point.

Well, the more things that you can do more immediately in the 3D view the less necessary they are. However they can still be useful, particularly for drawing brand new curves right in your desired orientation from the beginning. That's why I do want to add them in to a future version.

> I'd like to be able to draw a line "normal" to a surface in MoI.

Yeah, this is another one that I haven't figured out quite yet. It should be possible at some point. The first part to enable that is to get snapping directly on to a surface to work. I postponed that for a while since it involves a bit of work to make sure that it goes fast enough.

The things you're asking about here should eventually be possible, they just won't be in the initial V1 version.

- Michael