doodling with MoI

534.10 In reply to 534.9 
Hi Michael,

Thanks for taking the time to explain some of the uses for C-lines.
I can see now how they would come in handy for some of the things I do.

Initially, when I first saw them, I thought they would enable me to work in the 3d viewport without
a net, so to speak....I mean if you could set up some scaffolding
that would stay in place from operation to operation rather than turn off
when the line or curve being drawn is complete, then you'd be closer to having
the freedom to draw in wide-open 3d space, which would be very cool.

Would it be practical or possible to have C-lines stay on-screen for as long as you decide?
Maybe you could put a universal c-line on-off switch on the right click of the white c-line tab
under the other options such as relocate, etc..

The next logical thing that comes to mind, would be the ability
to mirror and rotate in the 3d viewport, which according my understanding would need
the backdrop of a construction plane to anchor the mirror or rotation. I realize this could
get kind of complicated in actuality and maybe not a good idea at all...but if you could right-click
and put a temporary control plane on the x or y axis and then do a mirror in the 3D viewport...maybe I'm in 3d fantasy-land..:-)

I have, on occasion, created object-oriented cplanes in Rhino, but I have not needed them very often,
so I'm not sure how necessary it would actually be at this point.

I have one last question that comes to mind as I'm thinking of these orientation options...
I'd like to be able to draw a line "normal" to a surface in MoI. For jewelry design, it would solve a lot of problems
in terms of building or arraying gemstone settings on top of a curvy surface. Snaps work
for me for drawing on surfaces, but it entails splitting the surface with a line so I can get an edge curve to snap to,
since Object Snaps recognize curves rather than surfaces. If we could extract an isoparm...

Sorry for all the questions...

Jesse